Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fun Monday-Ruling the World



Our hostess this week is the fabulous mommywizdom. She has put us in charge with this assignment:

If you were ruler for a day/week/month/year (your choice on the time) you would...ex...make coffee free to all citizens. Or you'd abolish the penny. You may also specify if you're ruler of the world or just your country.

Hmm. This is a tough one. First of all, I don't want to rule the world. I don't think any one person should rule the world. Heck, I don't think one person should rule a country. I like the checks and balances of the United States government. It has its flaws, but overall, I think it's a pretty good system. I just wish we could quit being so partisan and get some crap done, like working on the cost of healthcare and the economy...yadda, yadda, yadda. Before I drift into politics, let's get to the task at hand.
IF I didn't have a choice, and IF I had to accept the enormous job of running the world, I would want to hold that job for only a month. I've seen Bruce Almighty. I know how quickly that kind of job can wear on you. I'm sure I'd have my fill in just a few days. What to do with those powers? Having that kind of power is an awesome responsibility, and I could sit here and wax and wane about waving my magic wand and creating world peace, abolishing world hunger and giving everybody six weeks of vacation each year, but the reality is that stuff wouldn't last for long. People are people. Some are good, some are bad. Cease fires would last only so long, because we would soon find something new to fight about and probably claim it was in the name of religion. The dishonest would eventually go back to stealing, maiming and murdering. The strong would reign, and the weak would soon be at the bottom of the heap again. You see, you can't change people's hearts overnight. To me, the best I could hope for would be to give everyone a taste of how the other half lives and hope that it began to nudge their hearts in the right direction...so they could change on their own...maybe for good.

I would mandate that everyone swap places with someone else for a month. The rich would have to live in the shoes of the poor, preferrably in a public housing complex riddled with crime. The poor would live like the rich CEO who makes high pressured decisions each day. Those who waste food would have to live under the boiling sun of a third world country and beg for rice. The gang bangers in LA would have to live like midwestern school children who have been largely untouched by violence. The Paris Hilton's and Nicole Ritchie's would have to attend public schools in the hood....and I'd make them wear a uniform while I'm at it, just for grins. Isrealis would live as Palestinians and vice versa. Racists would have to live as minorities. Everyone would have to live as a different race, and ALL Americans would have to travel outside their country so they could understand how they are perceived around the world.

I WOULD change a few laws. Like, a governing body could vote on going to war only with the stipulation that their sons and daughters, husbands and wives would be the first on the frontlines. Senators and congressmen would have to live on the same income as an elderly person subsiding on social security for a month before voting on issues that affect the elderly. The salary of government leaders would start out at the same amount as other state and federal employees, their benefits would not be fully funded, and they would earn a full retirement only when their age and length of service added up to 65.

We might have chaos for a month, but maybe, just maybe, a few folks would see the light and start to live with more love in their hearts. I would gladly give up my reign at the end of the month, but not before declaring July 18th (my birthday) a world holiday during which the schools and businesses would be closed, margaritas would be on the house and everyone would have to hula. What can I say? A girl's gotta get at least one perk if she's gonna rule the world.

13 comments:

Mike Golch said...

I agree with you a war vote should mean that their childern be the one on the front lines first!
Unfortunly the rich and the priveledged do not have to fight the wars others do.
I hope that I do not ruffle too many feathers with what I just said.you do not see any Generals and or any high eschlon leaders putting their lives on the line every day now do you?

Olive said...

No feathers ruffled here - I believe that it be mandatory for every child to spend two years in a military service of their choice.

Robocop said...

The most important part of your post deals with the reality of human nature, and how the possibility of reverting back to old habits would override any kind of progress. Still, you have some very excellent ideas.

iPost said...

I like the swapping places idea! Teach everyone a bit of empathy!

Faye said...

Well HG, for such a reluctant ruler you have some very well developed policies to put in place. I'm still trying to get around the thought of Paris Hilton in a white blouse and plaid skirt! Would she still be allowed to have her hair extensions?? Grinning and typing. . .

Sayre said...

I like the politicians having to live on a senior's income before making decisions about their welfare. And things need to be factored in like gas prices and utility bills so that if those things shoot up, there will be some way to cope.

Jan said...

Very thoughtful post. I like the swapping places stuff, and the politicians' families having to serve in the wars they finance.

swampy said...

My feathers are just fine with that !

Isn't there a Native American (Indian- I can say Indian because I are part one), saying that goes something like, "Before I judge a man, let me walk a mile in his mocassins?"

Your post has overtones that match this saying. I like it.

Irish Coffeehouse said...

Trading places in society would teach quite a bit to many people!

karisma said...

I love it! Great idea! Trading places could be a real eye opener for lots of people! I guess I am pretty complacent, I have lived on both ends of the stick hungry/fed, well off/poor. I really irks me when people make comments about other not paying their way for small things. Oh its only $2 everyone can afford that! You know for some people $2 is a loaf of bread for their kids! Yes I love this idea and would love to sit and watch it unfold.

ChrisB said...

I think the swapping roles would be very effective. However, I also feel that old habits die hard!

Alison said...

I love your idea about swapping places...I think many people's perspective would be changed or altered if this happened. The world just may become a better place!!

dkuroiwa said...

I totally agree that those who vote for war should be the first to put their children and family out there.
Along the lines of the "walking a mile" in someone else's shoes, I believe that there should also be some mandatory volunteering...yeah, an oxymoron, but....very few kids today know what it is like to truly volunteer. Working in 3rd World countries or with other underprileged people makes better people all around, I believe.
And that whole trading places thing is good....I'm thinking right now of someone I'd like to change places with!! :-D