Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fun Monday-Dreams

This week's Fun Monday hostess is Jill at LilMouse, and she wants to hear about our dreams. Specifically:


Do you have any dreams, particularly recurrent ones that you feel no one else has? I recently talked to my friend Stacy on the phone and found out that we’d had the same odd, recurrent dream. Or, just tell us about an odd dream you had as a kid (did you dream you were falling and end up on the floor?)


This one is a little tough for me because I rarely remember my dreams when I wake up. I used to, but now I don't. It bothers me a little, but I can't do anything about it. I guess I'm just a very deep sleeper. Goodness knows a tornado could blow through our house in the middle of the night, and I'd never notice. I'd just wake up the next morning in the fork of a tree in Kansas and wonder what the heck happened. I have had a couple of recurrent dreams in recent years, though.


For a while, I kept dreaming that I died a violent death, usually at the hands of a criminal and in the presence of my husband. I think it had to do with some fears I had at the time about his safety as a parole officer. We kept running into some of his "clients" on the street, and a couple of the the more hardcore ones unnerved me when Hubby told me later they had probably been carrying a weapon. Those dreams eventually went away. Thank goodness. I got tired of waking up in a cold sweat. My brother is a police officer, and a couple of times I've had dreams of him being in danger. Having law enforcement folks in the family works on your nerves sometimes.


The one dream I had consistently for quite a while was that my teeth were falling out. It always scared me, and I would wake up and rub my tongue over my teeth, convinced they were looser than when I went to bed the night before. I finally mentioned it to a friend, and to my surprise she told me she'd had the same dream, so I looked it up on the Internet (what did we ever do before Google?) and found that it's a very common dream. The most common theory about this dream is that you're feeling insecure:


"These dreams often occur at a time of transition between one phase of life and another. When we lost our milk teeth, we also gradually lost our childhood innocence. Loosing your teeth therefore show that today you have similar feelings of uncertainty and self-consciousness as you did in childhood. The dream could also highlight your worries about getting older or your sexual attractiveness."


This makes complete sense to me because I was about to hit age forty, was unhappy with the demands my job was placing on my family at the time and contemplating a career change. I've never had that dream again since I changed jobs. It's also entirely possible I was worried about getting older. The sexual attractiveness? Pffftt. I'm way past the point in life where I base my self value on whether or not people find me attractive. I'm downright close to the comfortable shoe stage of life. In fact, I may be there and don't realize it. Anyway, that's about all I have today, shotgun wounds and loose teeth, but that's enough don't cha' think? Follow me on over to LilMouse and see what everyone else is thinking about while they're sleeping.

15 comments:

Clark said...

Recurring dream? I'm back in college, it's exam week, and I have a final for a class that I must pass in order to graduate but have not attended once all semester. That and flying on a passenger jet that performs all sorts of acrobatic maneuvers but never crashes.

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Ah there are those times when I can't remember my dreams too!

Violent dreams...sometimes those are inner worries?

Have a great week!

Molly said...

That is interesting about the teeth dreams. Dreaming about violent deaths has to be scary. I am glad that those dreams have stopped.

MommyWizdom said...

I'm glad you don't dream the violent death stuff anymore. The law enforcement business is definitely a tough thing to be around.

Cheers.

MommyWizdom

Sayre said...

Losing your teeth is a common dream? I've never had that one (that I know of). I'm learning a lot about dreams today!

Gattina said...

It's the same with me ! I don't dream anymore or only once in a blue moon !
I never dreamed something about my teeth, so I still must be in my first puberty, lol !

Hootin Anni said...

Actually when I read about your FIRST dream of a violent death, my first thought was insecurity. Then, you posted near the end about being insecure from your Google search....interesting.

I completely forgot about Fun Monday this week. But I did post a FUN-mon post, so if you'd like to drop by for a few giggles, you're invited!! Happy week to you.

jill said...

damn teeth falling out. I had a witch standing over me and put a spell on me to make all my teeth fall out in a glob of black gooey blood. nasty. glad I'm NOT the only one! Thanks for playing and being patient with mr linky not working!

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

I used to have reoccuring dreams about flying like Superman. Oh how I wish I could--I'd save money on gas!

Trailboss said...

Are you kidding? I could write a book on dreams. I dream every single fricking night and I most always remember them and usually in great detail. I dream in color all of the time. When I was a kid I had a recurring dream. Myself and the neighborhood kids were in our woods out back and the abonimable snowman was chasing us but actually he was only chasing ME. I think this dream came from Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer that we watched every year. I had that dream several times over a 2-3 year period. It scared me to death every time.

I have also had the chewing your own teeth dream. Also the naked dreams. I have had my fair share of them. I also dream about being back in high school and I never can remember my schedule much less where my classes are. It is very frustating.

See, I told you I could write a book about dreams!

Junebug said...

Here's another recurring dream I had as a child: my mother did not learn to drive until I was six years old so we got to ride with her as a beginner! The dream involves driving over an Arkansas River bridge and plunging off in to the water. Fortunately, I always had Charlie the Tuna save me. Crazy!

Jan n Jer said...

The dream about teeth falling out is a new one to me.Very interesting.

ChrisB said...

That's really interesting about the meaning of dreaming of losing teeth. I rarely remember my dreams these days.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I have had the same toothless dream! I haven't had it in while though, which is good. It can be very disturbing! Sorry I am late for FM!

Karina said...

EEK, teeth falling out? That is one scary dream! I can totally see how that would be a dream of insecurities though...makes sense.

(Just getting around to the Fun Mondayers now, better late than never right? lol)