Friday, February 19, 2010

My New Sports Crush


Photo: Associated Press

Oh, Evan, you were magnificent in your Vera Wang costume with your triple flips and triple axles and spin, spin, spins. Where have you been all winter? Or where have I been? I step away from skating for a season or two and miss the cutest, most athletic thing on ice since..um...well...um..since Jim Craig (hello 1980 hockey team). You kept me up past eleven o'clock last night, on a work night, because I couldn't go to bed without knowing if you'd eeked past the Russian. And you did. You did! You, with your sheepish grin and bright smile. I was crying with your mama while she boo hooed in the stands. Wheaties, here you come! You are officially my 2010 Winter Olympics crush, and I'll be looking for your face on my Coke Zero can in the months to come.

Oh, and you, Mr. Plushenko, IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE QUAD! Your trash talk and unsportsmanlike behavior today was very distasteful. Your skating last night was sloppy, and you deserved the silver. Take it, be grateful and set an example for the skaters in that arena last night who would have been thrilled with a silver medal. If I were your mama, I'd wash your mouth out with Dial soap and send you to your room without any supper. I'd probably make you clean the toilets with a toothbrush too. That usually improves behavior in the Hula-gen household. Just ask Teen Angel.

7 comments:

Lucy said...

Don't let the spandex and glare from the ice blind ya!

Cruise Mom said...

Thank you for saying exactly what I've been thinking all day - or at least since I watched the Tivo this morning!

The Girl Next Door said...

I was all "who is that man who just won gold" b/c I was talking on the phone and watching with the sound off and then - WHAM it hit me he was from the USA! Crazy night.

Nope not sleeping here either. Watching late night olympics. You stole my post. Now I have to think of something else!

The Girl Next Door said...

Sorry for two comments in one night, but HE'S ON TV RIGHT THIS SECOND with a follow-up interview. Goodness he is so adorable. sigh.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Just watched it. Sigh.

oreneta said...

Now I am REALLY missing the Olympics!

Do you really make teen angel clean toilets with a toothbrush?

Mia said...

Oh and what a gentleman! Bob Costas tried to bait him to say something snarky about Plush-jerko oh I mean shenko,or Putin or anything Russian and Evan handled it with style,grace and all-American boy manners! What a class act!