Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Favorite Flicks

I was reading the new movie section of the Pioneer Woman’s website the other day, and from a marketing aspect I find that a bit of an odd addition to her site. But she didn’t ask my opinion before she did that, now did she? Imagine that. Anyway, I did find it interesting to read her post about movies that always make her drop what she’s doing and watch them. It made me stop and think about the movies that grab my attention each and every time they float across my television, and even though my movie viewing time could probably fit into a thimble these days, there are some flicks for which I will let dinner burn. Or stay up way past my regular bedtime. Or eat into my valiant efforts at keeping up with the laundry. I thought it would be fun to share them. It was either that or rant about the sorry state of the U.S. government right now, and I figure we all have enough rant in our lives, so movies it is!


In reviewing this list, I realized two things: First, they’re all total chick flicks. Secondly, with maybe one or two exceptions, Hubby could probably predict every one of these. Of course, I could list his too, but all I’d have to do is write down everything starring John Wayne, putting the ones with Maureen O’Hara at the top. I have many favorite movies, many of them shot before 1970, but these are the ones I can never pass up. Here we go folks. Feel free to share yours. I’m starting at the bottom and working my way up.

8. Forrest Gump-I just love this movie. I love how Forrest never gives up on his love for Jenny and how he finally gets his girl. The screenplay is just fantastic, and who can’t recite at least ten lines from this movie? Also, I want to live in that big white Alabama house with the wraparound porch. Minus the humidity. I always tear up when Jenny dies, and I actually drop the tears in the exact same place every time, “I miss you, Jenny”. Me and Forrest Gump? We go together like peas and carrots.

7. Gone With the Wind-I guess because I was raised on this movie. Mama was a fan, and I remember going to the movie to see it in the 70’s when it was trotted out to theaters again, and there was a fifteen minute intermission between two hour sets. As an adult, the racial stereotypes make me cringe, and I know that it contains a lot of historical inaccuracies, but gosh darn it, I still love that movie. Scarlett O’Hara was a headstrong and independent businesswoman before it was cool, and I always wanted a prom dress like that red velvet number Rhett makes her wear to Ashley’s birthday party. Truth be told, I’d put on that dress today if I had a place to wear it.

6. To Catch a Thief-Two words: Cary Grant. I still think he’s the epitome of sexy. He was funny, handsome and sharply dressed. The only person who comes close to that these days is George Clooney, and he’s no Carey Grant. I’ll watch anything with Carey Grant. I’m a big Grace Kelly fan, too.

5. Rear Window-I love, love, love Jimmy Stewart and I always wanted to be Grace Kelly. Cool, sophisticated and stylish, she was the glamour queen I wanted to be. That black and white number with the wide brimmed hat she wears in that movie? Fantastic. And the sexy chit chat between her and Jimmy is just great. I’m a huge Alfred Hitchcock fan, so I get excited any time one of his movies is on, especially this one.

4. The Rocky Horror Picture Show-Don’t laugh. It is a part of my past, and I guess it will be in my heart forever. It’s campy and goofy and really just a bad movie, but I was in college when this was big, and I used to attend showings of it in full costume. My very gay friend, G., made the perfect Frankenfurter, my buddy V. was Columbia, and I played Magenta. Keep in mind I had a long curly perm back then. We trotted around to different theaters, throwing toilet paper, dancing the Time Warp and having an all around good time. In fact, one time we ended up in the middle of a riot. Remind me to tell you about that some day. G. has been dead for many years now, a victim of AIDS, and watching this movie brings back great memories of those good times. I know the soundtrack by heart and play it often in the car. Call this one guilty pleasure #67, but I think it’s more about the memories than the movie.

3. Bridges of Madison County-I don’t know why, but I am a sucker for this movie every time. I think it’s because it explores that issue of women losing themselves in their families and what happens in their heart when they give up their dreams to nurture their kids and husbands. Whether they admit it or not, I think all women struggle with this (the dreams part, not the adultery) at least a little, and this movie presents it in a very down to earth way. Never mind that I adore Meryl Streep. This one makes me cry, too when she sees Clint Eastwood in town and watches him drive away. Sniff. I get misty just thinking about it.

2. Fried Green Tomatoes-What is not to love about this movie? I’m a sucker with a flick about strong southern woman, and this could probably tie for the #1 slot on this list. I will watch it EVERY single time it comes on. Fannie Flagg is one of my favorite authors, and while this isn’t my favorite book of hers, it IS one of the movies I can’t resist. The casting is wonderful, and I adore Jessica Tandy. I cry when Buddy gets hit by the train, I cringe when Ruth gets knocked down the steps, I cheer when Idgie is acquitted and I cry when Ruth dies. And I’m not even worried about spoiling it for you because I know you’ve seen it, too.

1. Steel Magnolias-No surprise here. Again, chick flick about strong southern women. I have lost count of how many times I’ve seen it, but it’s got to be dozens. Hubby likes it too, although he has to leave the room when Shelby dies. I think that’s because he doesn’t want me to see him tear up. I, however, just roll right with it and have a big old sob fest every time. As Truvy says, laughter through tears is my favorite emotion, and this one makes me laugh and cry, laugh and cry. One day, when Teen Angel is raised and things have slowed down, I’m going to return to community theater, and I’d love to be in a production of this. I want to play Truvey. I’d better hurry though or else I’m gonna be so old I’ll have to play Ouser.

PS-I just realized I forgot to add Driving Miss Daisy to this list. Sister mercy, is every movie I watch about people dying in the south?

4 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

Oh, Hula, great list, especially Fried Green Tomatoes and Gone With The Wind; however, Steel Magnolias drives me around the bend. If the actors' even made the slightest effort to effect the Louisiana dialect I could have bought into it. Alas, they all sound like they're from Georgia! Being from Louisiana makes me hypercritical, I suppose. :)

"CAPTAIN DAVE" said...

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is a chick-flick? I mean, I know it's a broken-hearted love story, but...

J.G. said...

I mostly agree with your choices (especially Rocky Horror, including the Meat Loaf cameo--classic!) but the last time I saw Gone with the Wind it kind of creeped me out. For the first time it seemed overshadowed with domestic violence and drinking. I hope next time I will get over that and just enjoy the story (having already forgiven it its other warts).

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

Steel Magnolias, Driving Miss Daisy, Dirty Dancing, O Brother Where Art Thou, Nine to Five,The Godfather, To Kill a Mockingbird, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -not in any order. Not a big movie watcher. I am an old geezer and I was in college when Love Story came out. Oh.....at the end of the movie, you could have heard a pin drop, and then some girl started SOBBING at the top of voice. Well....that opened the tearducts of every female. I have NEVER experienced anything like that. And when I went with future husband to see The Godfather, I had ZERO clue what it was about....talk about an eye-opener...LOL.