Thursday, April 12, 2007

Footloose

Have you ever noticed that the older you get the more likely you are to be involved in a conversation that involves foot problems, irregularity or hair removal? It seems as if every time I turn around these days, someone brings up his foot problems. I stumbled into a conversation this morning where a co-worker was talking about sanding down her calluses. I’ve even caught myself talking about it lately. I have tendonitis in my heels which flairs up when I run on an incline too much. When I was a kid I used to laugh at my grandma’s bunion. Thank goodness, she refrained from slapping me up the side of my head, but I honestly found it funny then. Even the word “bunion” was funny. At ten years old a misshapen foot is worth a good round of giggles. At 42, it’s not so funny. What IS funny is our apparent belief that it’s okay to share intimate details of calluses, corns and ingrown nails with a room full of people. I can’t believe I’m a member of the “old feet” club. Can conversation about laxatives be far behind?

2 comments:

janjanmom said...

Please let me know if, in your feet conversations, you find a cure for the nasty cracks and callouses that are my heels. I want my twenty's heels back.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

There's a foot oil from Arbonne that works well. I've also heard that rubbing Crisco on your feet right before bedtime and wearing socks to bed works wonders. Being afraid that would run my husband out of the bed, I have refrained, so I can't attest to its effectivenes.