Thursday, June 14, 2012

As I often do, I was recently asking for the input of some friends when trying to decide on some photos to enter into a local photo competition.  (One got picked!  Yay, for me.)  While I tend to lean more toward the rough edgy or unusual kind of stuff, one friend really liked the pretty shots, things with colorful sunsets or bright landscapes.  I asked why because I'm always interested in what appeals to people about a particular photo.  She said, "You know, I just like things that make me smile or make me feel good."  Her mother died almost a year ago, and she has really struggled with grief.  She's had some other ups and downs this past year, too.  She said that life was hard enough right now without having to dwell on the ugly or edgy.  She just wants to be surrounded by pretty and nice.  And I thought that was pretty insightful.  I like art that provokes a strong emotion or makes you think about serious issues, but I think she's right.  There's nothing wrong with something that simply makes you smile.  Despite what art critics may preach, art can be pretty.  And it can be nice.  It's okay if it makes you laugh or feel good.  It doesn't have to make you think in order to be appreciated.  Duly noted.
Perhaps, that's why I can't pass up a flower.

1 comment:

Linda said...

What a great way to describe the emotion as a response to a photo! I rarely am able to pass up a flower either!