Thursday, January 11, 2007

Getting to Know Me

The recent news of the impending divorce of some friends of mine took me by surprise. I would never have guessed their marriage was in trouble. It made me realize that there is a lot you don’t know about the people around you, including people you think you know very well. What is it people don’t know about me? Probably more than I realize. Here are just a few items people don’t know about me. It’s not a shocking list. I’m an old boring married woman.
-I write poetry and songs and hope to write a novel one day. I save ideas and research that I think will be handy when I’m ready to put my plotline on paper.
-I play the flute..very poorly. I used to be much better but quit playing when I became an adult. A couple of years ago my husband bought me a flute for Christmas so I could take up the old habit. My failure to practice regularly is noticeable when I do play.
-My dream job is to be a Rockette. If they asked me today, I would pack my tights and head for New York.
-I have moments of shyness. Really! Those who are around me a lot find that hard to believe, but it happens.
-I’m more conservative on many political issues than I often sound. I’m just very vocal on certain issues and take the first amendment very seriously.
-I regret not getting my master’s while I was in college.
The fact that I don’t have any deep dark secrets is a relief, and I’m very fortunate in that I don’t have much stress and pain in my life right now. However, I realize there are probably several people close to me who do. I hope I’m perceptive enough to pick up on a little of that and make the right decisions in the way I approach that person. You just never know when someone needs a kind word or understanding for their sharp tongue.

No comments: