Friday, July 24, 2009

Breaking News

Our top story tonight? I’m glad this week is winding to a close. It’s been a hectic one, but good. We will wrap up bible school tonight and tear down everything, but I think we can safely call it a rousing success. A few observations:
-Parents, you have no secrets. You have no idea what your children share with their teachers when you’re not around, and you really don’t want to know how much we know about you or what we know about you. It’s best not to ask.
-This Little Light of Mine is the best church song ever. Why do we quit singing it when we become adults? It’s got a good beat, and it’s easy to dance to. I like the jazzy version we’ve been singing all week, but I LOVE Bruce Springsteen’s version that I downloaded from iTunes this week.
-We’ve managed to make it through this week with no major casualties. However, we have had an issue with people sticking pipe cleaners, fingers and other items in their eyes. Every night-an eye injury. What’s up with that?
-We are adding that magic puke dust to the budget next year. It’s that stuff you sprinkle on vomit that absorbs it so you can clean it up easily. It may be $40 for a small container, but in my opinion, it’s worth every penny.
-On that same note, vigorous games right after snack time are risky.
-The other item to add to our list? Bug spray. I sat down in the grass Monday night to take a few pictures of the kids. In the ten minutes I was sitting there, 16,981 bugs invaded my shorts and my shirt, apparently, in search of my underwear. I am the proud recipient of twenty something chigger bites, some of which are in places I can’t mention. Benadryl Anti-Itch is my new best friend, and if you happen to catch me scratching my backside, please let it pass.

In other news around the world:
-Special Delivery is now walking. Ha! His parents will never rest again. We have the cutest picture of him in Teen Angel’s phone. If I were smart enough to get that picture out of there, I’d show it to you.
-Papa T. has a machine from the Bureau of the Blind that plays books on tape. He uses it all day long and gets a little antsy when he can’t use it. Well, his old one broke, and the new one came in the mail yesterday. Hubby couldn’t get it to work either. He resigned himself to returning it, but Papa T. insisted that I come over after bible school last night to look at it. He believes that my seventeen years of working in radio and television makes me capable of fixing any electronic device. I had my doubts but was surprised to find that I fixed it. Turns out, Hubby had forgotten to plug it in. I would have looked like a genius if it hadn’t taken me about fifteen minutes to figure that out.

Well, that’s all the news for this evening. Join us back here tomorrow when we take a look at the latest economic figures and how they’re affecting our grocery bill, and we check the weather forecast to see if Hula gets to get in the pool. In the meantime, have a good evening and watch out for those bugs.

4 comments:

J.G. said...

Our local bible school is called Under the Sea, but I bet they don't have the set-up you had.

Now, for goodness' sake, get in that pool! Chlorine is great for chigger bites. Trust me. :-)

karisma said...

Sounds like you had a blast this week! I also love that song, we never sang it at out church growing up (songs in the catholic church tended to be a bit less bouncy). I only learned it when my girls were in guides when they were younger at a camp. Very catchy and fun.

Another thing you can do for your bites is drink Chamomile tea, its a natural anti itcher. You can also use the wet teabags to dab on them to help stop the itch. Its very soothing. No scratching!

Hugs and smoochies xxxx

Jason, as himself said...

I'll agree with you about that magic puke dust!

And I'm glad that vacation bible school was a success.

Again with the chiggers...I have no idea what a chigger is.

Can't wait to hear about your grocery bill!

Trailboss said...

Bit hula, that magic puke dust is so nasty smelling. I can't get past getting on or being on the bus with that stuff. I guess it is better than straight puke (straight puke...hehe) but egads. I guess I am glad that I don't have to ride the school bus anymore.....for lots of reasons.