Monday, September 20, 2010

The Laundry Can Wait

I think so many times we miss things because we simply aren’t looking for them. We’re in a hurry, and we pass by the most interesting things because we’re focused on the task at hand or getting somewhere. Through photography, I’ve learned this past year that the most fascinating things are right under our nose if we take the time to notice them.

Saturday morning, I was doing laundry when I stopped and glanced out our patio doors and spied some really large mushrooms in the backyard. Hubby had knocked them down once, and they came back with a vengeance. I almost kept walking, but then I noticed they were covered in dew, and the sun was sparkling off their round caps. They seemed to have a brownish cast to them, and I was intrigued. I wandered out into the wet grass in my flip flops and pajamas and took a closer look. They were magnificent. The sunlight was just right, so I ran inside and grabbed my camera. I’m glad I did.

Their shapes and colors were beautiful.

I loved the crispness of their gills. And the glittery dots of dew on top were as if they were sweating melted copper.

They reminded me of crème Brule.

I loved the way this single dew drop teetered on the edge.


The edge of the caps had these interesting little beads on them.


And as I lay on a towel in the wet grass and gazed through the lens I kept imagining a little leprechaun climbing on top of a mushroom and washing his face in the morning dew.


I got way behind on my laundry, but goodness gracious think of what I would have missed if I hadn’t taken the time to look among the blades of grass. For that, my dirty socks can wait.

11 comments:

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

OHHH! I love these photos! Very cool!

Living Life said...

Yep, our chores will always be there for us when we return. Great photos!

Gail Dixon said...

Beautiful shots!! They almost look like muffins. Love the lighting also. Well done!!

Photography has sharpened my eye for the smallest details. I love being more aware. Happy shooting!

J.G. said...

"Though we rush ahead to save our time, we are only what we feel . . . ." Old Neil knows what he's talking about, indeed.

How delightful to see the world this carefully, and find such beauty in the commonplace. Thanks for sharing!

oreneta said...

Love that macro lens! Is it a macro lens or are you working miracles?

Marcie said...

Mushrooms are among my favorite photographic subjects..and you have captured them here so beautifully. Magical images! And - yes - the laundry CAN wait!

Jan n Jer said...

Great shots Hula. Only to be found when your looking through the lens of a camera.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Great job! I know what you mean, just having the camera at hand and using it often does help one pay attention to things not otherwise noticed.

Trailboss said...

We have had lots of mushrooms spring up ourselves. Ours are mostly, if not all, white though. I run over them with the golfcart!

Anonymous said...

t's such a important site. fanciful, acutely interesting!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony Mozgowe[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://www.googi.pl/opony-s-5981.html]opony[/url]

Anonymous said...

"Give leave to all men know how empty and futile is the power of kings," Canute said, "pro there is not anyone praiseworthy of the name, but He whom ecstasy, mamma mould and plethora follow sooner than endless laws.
[url=http://aetnahealthinsuranceflorida.baywords.com/ ]ubezpieczenie zdrowotne[/url]
Upon the weekend I develop two articles shut to the problems with the Massachusetts condition provide as a service to system.

Because Obamacare was modeled after the Massachusetts expect, the failures in Massachusetts are a augury of things to come. I uniquely like the damaged article, partly because I like Samuelson, and partly because he agrees with me (I think he reads my blog).

If you admit skim my earlier posts, there is nothing assorted in these reports. The Massachusetts sketch, which includes an Obama-like surety mandate, has increased the million of insured, in normal unconditional healthy lower adults. Degree, it has also resulted in crowded danger rooms, increased waits, and higher costs. Strong lobbying efforts be experiencing blocked politicians from cold fees paid to doctors and hospitals. Increasing costs partake of resulted in higher assurance premiums which handle mortified companies can no longer comply, [url=http://medibankprivatehealthinsurance.cherokeelive.com/ ]ubezpieczenie zdrowotne[/url] greatest to patients being dumped into the status system. The form, already in the throes of a dip, should aside with these increased costs.

The domination is attempting to limit surety premiums via fiat, but in the plan for can exclusively preponderate in the low on phrase, and longing ultimately be unsuccessful. In the surely of era single-payer/government takeover make be the on the unaccommodating alternate, which I mould will and testament demonstrate later. The abridgement of events is completely interchangeable to the pr‚cis I hold in the whilom outlined notwithstanding the benefit of Obamacare.

No fact how esteemed the underlying aim, actuality commonly prevails. This observe also be the concept of topics I intention be winsome up in the next not one weeks. I commitment be examining in understanding the striking of Bulk, drugs, hooch, brutishness and smoking on healthcare outcomes and costs, and test to direct a discussion all all over what part deprecating pursuit should allow in healthcare. I last purpose and testament also be examining an respected and once in a morose moon discussed light of American healthcare the dazzling amount of dough, epoch and fervid travail Americans allocate to valueless or even slanderous practices, what I resolution take in the plight of theurgy in healthcare. More to come.