Monday, March 9, 2009

On Tour

The countdown is on for Teen Angel, me and her best bud-27 days until we attend the Blue October concert in St. Louis.

Blue October

They’re very excited. I’m pretty revved up myself. I love live musical performances, especially at a venue I’ve never been to before. I had Teen Angel burn me a CD of some of their songs, and I’ve decided I really like this group. I expect to enjoy the show, and all of this concert talk is providing me some entertainment between now and then….and memories.

It has gotten me all nostalgic and forced me to pull up this picture.I think this is 1982. M., C. and I about to head out to an REO Speedwagon concert about an hour away from home. I'm in the middle. Look at us in all of our Calvin Klein jean and oxford shirt glory. You can smell the Love’s Baby Soft just looking at that picture. And the hair. Oh, the big hair. Believe it or not, we’ve all registered higher marks on the big hair meter than seen in this photo. God, I loved the 80’s.

M. sent me this picture after our reunion last year, and immediately the memories of that night flood back. The giggly drive there. The purchase of counterfeit T-shirts. The loudness of the band. Waving only one cigarette lighter in the air, because none of us smoked and that’s all we had. Sigh. Good times.

Remember what it was like to be a teenager and to be SOOOO into the music of your time? I came of age at a time when everything about live shows was big. Big sounds, big hair, big pyrotechnics. Kiss, Def Leppard, Van Halen ruled the tours, and the Rolling Stones weren’t old yet, although they were working on it. I saw the Police on their Synchronicity tour, and thought I’d died and gone to heaven. I know what Teen Angel is going to experience in a few weeks, and I’m excited for her. So, to mark the occasion dear readers, I’m asking you to tell me in three lines or less about your first or best concert experience as a teen. Come on. Break out your oxford shirt or your poodle skirt and divulge.

11 comments:

J.G. said...

The Eagles "Hotel California" tour, circa 1977. If memory serves, Jimmy Buffet was the opening act. It rained almost the whole time but we didn't care. Ah, youth.

I also saw Meat Loaf in 1995. Fantastic, despite no encore. It's hard to believe but by the time he's through singing, you don't want any more.

Jason, as himself said...

I'll say it again...you're such a cool mom. And you looked way better than I did that year. Way.

Mia said...

Told you so! I knew you would like Blue October ; )
The Police in Murray
Cheap Trick at the Riverfront
R.E.M. at SIU
Ah-Ha Washington D.C.
Oh I could go on and on I LOVE live music!!

trkndude299 said...

My first concert experience was in Germany in the mid 70's and it was pretty cool until it went bad.
I was American.
And the opening act was AntiAmerican. My Uncle snatched me up over his shoulders and said nothing would happen to me there + then. The crowd got very violent at that point.
Thank Goodness my German family didn't agree with THAT crowd.

trkndude299 said...

I agree with J.G.
Meatloaf totally rocks.
Uh.. I was once a Kiss Army fan.
Geez I feel old now.

oreneta said...

OMgoodness, I was such a geek I guess, I just didn't go to many concerts. I think two, and one was in university. I have to think about the name of the first band...they were from South Africa...hmmmm, nope the old filing system isn't coming up with it, and I just don't have time for a random google search...

Rink's Ramblings said...

First, 1968, Kenny Rogers and the First Edition opening for Pat Paulson... ugh!

First real teen concert, 1971 at Allen Field House, Flo and Eddie opening for Elton John, unbelieveable show.

Best ever, probably U2 on their Zoo TV tour at Arrowhead Stadium. The music and the theatrics were incredible.

Cruise Mom said...

I still love REO! I saw them a couple of years ago up here, and they are coming back this summer - and yes, I'll go again:)

Living Life said...

Here goes...I was a regular concert goer in the 80's - Def Leppard, AC/DC, Van Halen, Jimmy Buffet - I even went to see Neil Diamond (with my mom)! My all time favorite had to be Buffet. I saw him 3 times. Who is this Blue October?? Never heard of them. Thanks for the flashback.

Scott W said...

REO Speedwagon played at St Mary's prom in 1971 or 1972. That was a bit before they were popular.

dkuroiwa said...

Get. Out. Of. Here.
l982? I saw REO Speedwagon in Denver!! Girl...we saw the same tour!!! That is very cool!!

First concert...i was 14...at Red Rocks Theater outside Denver...we saw America (swoon) and Pure Prairie League opened...it was a day to remember forever!!!