Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fun Monday-Spring Photo Challenge

I haven't done Fun Monday in a while, but I am this week because it involves two of my favorite things: Spring and photography. Jan is our lovely Hostess with The Mostess this week, and she wants us to take a picture of what Spring represents to us. Well, I've been all over the Spring blooms this year, and I have a ton of photos to choose from, (I think I'm up to more than 100) but I went back into the archives and selected one from last year.


It's one of my favorites, and it sings Spring to me for several reasons. It was taken among my peony bushes, and peonies are one of my favorite flowers. I love that you can cut three or four of them and have a beautiful bouquet. I don't even mind the ants that usually follow the bouquet into the house. The flowers are big and bold and beautiful, and I truly love it when they bloom. I'm actually hoping we don't sell our old house where they're planted until after they've bloomed.


I love the colors in this photo, too. Spring is so full of pastels and vivid greens. To me, there is no greener green than that of brand new grass and foliage as it pushes through winter's mask in March. It makes me feel good to look at the greens and yellows and pinks and purples of the season, and I smile at the colors in this photo. I smile at the bloom that's barely opened, too. Kind of symbolic of the season, don't cha' think?


I also like it because of the raindrops. What's Spring without rain? Lots of rain any other time of year would annoy me. But not in Spring. That's because I know what follows: sun, glorious sun. And warmer temperatures. Spring gives me hope, and that my friends, makes the rain worth weathering, I believe. Pun intended.


Now, trot on over to Jan's and see everyone else's pictures. That's where I'm headed.

11 comments:

Janis said...

Beautiful Beautiful...I have never owned a peony...might just have to buy one this year. You covered all the bases with this one photo...yep your right...Spring does represent HOPE! Now go over to your old house n dig it up and replant in your new yard! Thanks for play Hula..Happy FM

Jan said...

Your photo of the peonie is outstanding. I thought it was a rose, at first. Just love it.

Living Life said...

I remember that photo and I love it! Spring time and rain do go hand in hand. I love to smell the fresh spring air after a good rain!

Pamela said...

My peonies are just teeny little green/red sprouts up about an inch out of the ground. They'll bloom towards the end of may. I usually have some to cut and put on graves on memorial day.

Sayre said...

Never thought of growing peonies. Your photo makes me want to have one though! Do they smell as good as they look?

Sandy said...

Beautiful flower! The Peony Growers of America should pay you royalties on that one.

Swampy said...

Do you pronounce it Pe-ON-nee or PEE-on-nee? However, yours is beautiful and I especially love the water droplets on the pastel. I love them but don't have any luck growing them out here in the High Desert.

Faye said...

I agree with you about peonies Hula Girl. They take so long to get established and bloom, but well worth the wait. When I was working there was always conferences to attend in May when the peonies bloomed--I hated missing them so understand about your not being that eager for the house to sell just yet!

Molly said...

I enjoyed your post Hula Girl. You are right there is no greener green than young spring grass. Peonies are lovely flowers with a lovely smell. I had some bushes at my old house. I guess that we will have to plant some here too after all the peony is Indiana's state flower.

Peter said...

Good post even though I'm not familiar with peonies.

Jill said...

I dont mind spring rain (when it doesn't stop our construction, it's the fall rain that bums me out! Sorry it took so long for me to get over here and say hi!