Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Psst! Down Here.

I think I know why I like the macro lens so much. It allows me to see things that aren’t normally visible to the naked eye. Or at least easily visible. I shouldn’t be surprised since microscope work was some of my favorite work in high school and college science classes. It certainly wasn’t chemistry. I’d rather pick my toes than do chemical equations. I love how the magnification opens up a whole new world that seems to silently go on under my nose every day. For instance, have you ever looked closely at the lowly dandelion? See all those little curly things in there?

Pretty cool, huh? And pretty beautiful when you really examine it closely. It makes me wonder who deemed it an unfit flower for the yard.

Sometimes I find that the small stuff is actually pretty similar to some of the big stuff we readily recognize. Take the little white flowers that are popping up all over yards around here in this Spring time weather. They’re easy to overlook. I took a wide shot of them with a robin so you can get an idea of just how small they are.


From a distance, they’re not much to look at, but up close? They remind me of Asian lilies.


Look at the centers.

And the bend of the petals.

This is my favorite because it looks like a painting and aside from a little cropping this photo is untouched. If I never showed you how small these flowers were, you probably wouldn’t know by looking at these pictures. Fascinating. It makes me appreciate the fine details of God’s handiwork. It also makes me wonder what I was doing in botany class, ‘cause I can’t seem to remember half the names of the stuff I’m shooting lately.


7 comments:

J.G. said...

Lovely! So delicate and so teeny-tiny. Thanks for giving the total perspective.

Living Life said...

What a great lens to pick out the tiniest detail in life's little things.

Jan n Jer said...

I love Macro...it does bring such detail to our attention. BTW I am hosting FM come on over n sign up...its a photo challenge...I will have the sign up on friday.

oreneta said...

The bottom one! I love it!!!!

"CAPTAIN DAVE" said...

With regard to the dandelion, a wise person once said, "A weed is simply a flower growing where you don't want it."

Trailboss said...

It does make you wonder who says they are weeds. You are killing me with your new lens. I grow more green every day.

Swampy said...

Love Macro ! But love seeing how small they really are. Puts things into perspective !