Thursday, December 10, 2009

Nothing Says Quality Blogging Like Bullet Points

-It just wouldn’t be Christmas if someone around here over the age of 60 wasn’t in the hospital in December. It’s become an annual thing around here, and 2009 did not disappoint us. We took Papa T. to the emergency room two nights ago and it turns out he has a bladder infection. If it has spread to his blood he will be in the hospital at least four more days. If not, he should be out by Sunday. He is NOT a happy camper. In fact, he’s downright surly. Hubby and Mama J. have spent the last two nights at the hospital with him, but Hubby says he’s coming home tonight and letting the nurses deal with Papa T. Ho, ho, ho.
-As we were sitting in the hospital cafeteria last night dining on the “holiday dinner” of tough $7 prime rib and Sam’s Club Red Velvet cake, I wondered if that’s how Ralphie felt in A Christmas Story eating Chinese food on Christmas Day. Fa, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra.
-I made it through the holiday meal with Hubby’s dysfunctional family Saturday without losing my Attitude of Gratitude bracelet, only to have to start all over on the 21 day thing Sunday. A certain sixteen-year-old pushed my buttons until I lost my temper and my gratitude for having a teenager. On a positive note, I made it seven whole days before I had to start over, which is way better than I thought I would do. Joy to the world!
-I have an even bigger holiday meal with Hubby’s dysfunctional family Saturday. Hubby won’t be able to go because someone will need to stay with Papa T., and Teen Angel has to work, so I will be on my own in that hot mess. It will be another opportunity to test my attitude. Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
-I tried a new four layer coconut cake recipe this week for a party we’re having tomorrow night. It’s one of those cakes that has to sit in a sealed container for three days before you eat it. It is all I can do not to break the seal on that thing and run my finger down the middle of it. It’s the most wonderful time of the year.
-The temperatures have dipped into the teens here, and I’m trying not to bellyache about it. It sucks way more to be in Iowa or Wisconsin right now, but gosh, I hate winter. The only good thing about winter, in my opinion, is that it forces snakes into hibernation. I’m Mister Icicle, I’m Mister Ten Below.
-I have bought one Christmas present so far. One stinkin’ gift and I have no idea when I’m going to be able to shop. To say I’m a little behind is like saying Tiger Woods is having a bad day. At least I see a way out of my mess. Tiger? Hmm, not so much. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire……

6 comments:

Living Life said...

Great update. And don't worry all the holiday stuff WILL get done one way or another!

oreneta said...

That hubby fest....time to catch a flu I think and stay home eating coconut cake. Tra la la la la...

I am now going to have to go and find out what is going on with Tiger Woods, though I think I don't want to know.

Jason, as himself said...

Oh, wow. It sounds like your holiday season is off with a BANG!

I'm very slow on the uptake this year, too. And I don't even have a current excuse. Can I just use one of my old stand bys?

J.G. said...

I'm trying to get something going with a joke about spending a week in the hospital with a bladder infection as my excuse for not doing any Christmas shopping, but it's a lot funnier in my head so never mind.

I think we are all running way behind on the festive stuff this year. Either no time or no money!

Swampy said...

Please ship Schnapps. Three times !
Whose nuts are roasting on a open fire ?
Heading out on my broom again and just wanted to say hey...Hey !
Happy Hollydaze !

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it