Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Somebody Call A Plumber

Live has its ebb and flow. Sometimes it ebbs. Sometimes it flows, and sometimes it flows downhill and backs up in the basement. This has been one of those basement weeks. Besides sixteen little things that have gone wrong, we found the neighbors’ little dog dead in our pool the other morning. Poor little Miss Nola apparently slipped through the fence, got too nosey and fell in. She was an adventurous little spirit who had a habit of doing things that put her in danger, and it caught up with her. We were all just heartbroken. And a bit traumatized.


Yesterday, we put Mama J. in the hospital. It’s nothing serious, but she did give us a scare yesterday morning that prompted an ambulance ride to the hospital. Apparently, dehydration had a lot to do with that incoherent babbling that caused us to worry that she had had a light stroke.

Mama called me this morning to tell me that one of my elderly aunts fell and broke a hip late yesterday (not good at her age), and another elderly aunt has pneumonia (also not good). Right as I hung up the phone with her, Hubby called me to tell me he had just spent a fair amount of money at the pool store, and while we were on the phone he came upon a bad wreck involving a good friend of his. He hung up, bailed out and helped emergency crews cut P. out of his truck that was wrapped around a tree. Nothing like getting covered in mud and your friend’s blood by 10 o’clock in the morning. P. will be okay and had remarkably few injuries from the accident, but he’ll be in the hospital for a few days. Oh, and rolling around in the back of our brains this week is the fact that tomorrow is the two year anniversary of Sissy’s suicide. Um, yeah, it’s just a barrel of monkeys over here. Sister Mercy, I’m afraid to answer the phone anymore.

We will weather all of this and be smiling again soon, like this weekend when Teen Angel has prom, but right now, we could use a little break. The business where I work is closed for Good Friday, and I have a full day of comp time built up, so I’m takin’ my ball and goin’ home. I’m taking the rest of the week off, and plan to try out that new lounge chair I bought Sunday….if it doesn’t storm yet again. We are in the midst of a cycle of very stormy weather that’s supposed to last through the weekend. The wind huffed and puffed and tried to blow down the house last night, but we came through without any damage. I hate to sound paranoid, but at the rate things are going, I think I’ll just slap a hardhat on everybody’s head and hand them a flotation device for at least the next few days. If anybody needs me, I’ll be in the back eating bon bons and watching House Hunters International reruns. Anybody know how much it costs to buy a home in Belize? I want something without a basement.

8 comments:

oreneta said...

Good grief Hula....glad you've got the time and the lounge chair...

Mama J is getting better, Friend P isn't seriously hurt and you can focus on taking photos of clouds?

Hang tough...

Hugs.

Jan n Jer said...

When it rains it pours...no pun intended. Hopefully better days are ahead and you can enjoy your pool n lounge chair. Happy Easter to you n yours!

"CAPTAIN DAVE" said...

Oreneta makes a good point. There are two sides to every coin. Sometimes we get stuck staring at the back side, when there is a blessing awaiting us on the front. Count your blessings, not your woes...

janjanmom said...

Today i give you the two things I can:

Comment Crack(1)...in all it's awesomeness and lots of prayers
(2).

I love you friend!!(maybe that makes 3)

Living Life said...

Oh my! That's alot of bad news, especially about the doggie. So sad and unfortunate. At least you have a nice long weekend so you can "try" to relax a little.

Trailboss said...

I hope Teen Angel has some decent weather for the prom. But we both know the forecast...*sigh*

So sad to read about the puppy in the pool. That had to be a hard thing to deal with. I am starting to think that there has been a full moon for about 2 weeks now as so many things (dramatic) have happened around these parts. I too have had my fair share.

I look forward to seeing TA in her prom dress. I reckon there is nothing like Senior Prom. I never went myself. I stayed far away from all of that stuff in high school but that was my choice. Can I assume that your hubby will ask her date what his intentions are prior to the event? I have always loved that expression.

Be sure to take tons of pics Missy. We all look forward to them!

the parishioner who doesn't do anything said...

Thinking of you today. Hope you're sitting by the pool in the sun.

J.G. said...

My dad always used to say, "Trouble comes in bunches, like bananas." But enough already for you! Hope you've turned the corner on all this stuff.