Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Everybody in the Water!

We had a great holiday weekend.  We hadn't made any special plans, but we ended up with lots of folks at our house, and it was a ball.  We became those people who start partying on one day and just keep going throughout weekend.  Just like one of our neighbors.  Minus the keg and the scantily dressed women.  Which reminds me, I should probably check on their wellbeing.  There weren't any kegs or scantily clad women at their house this weekend, which is highly unusual for a holiday.  And I could barely hear their stereo while standing in the street, so something must be wrong. 

It was so hot around here this weekend, we could have all been scantily clad and no one would have said anything.  Really, it was that hot.  96 degrees I think.  It was hotter than the arse of an alligator sitting on the equator.  I haven't weighed yet, but I suspect I'm about three pounds closer to my college weight, thanks to all the sweating I did.  Today's goal?  Hydration. 

The holiday kind of slipped up on us, so we figured we'd keep it simple and just lay around the pool.  On Friday afternoon and Saturday morning I texted and FaceBook messaged some friends and said, "Hey, we're going to be sitting around the pool today.  Come join us if you like."  And they did.  Before we knew it we had seventeen people at the house.  They started arriving at 2pm Saturday and stayed until nearly 10pm.  We grilled hot dogs, ate popsicles and swam, swam, swam.  And at the end of the night we said, "Hey, we'll be here again Monday, so if you don't have anything to do, come on back."  And they did.  So yesterday, they started arriving around 11:30am and stayed until 5pm.  It was like the party never ended, which we loved.  Everybody's kids laughed and played well together.  They wore themselves out in the water, and although I haven't asked, I suspect they all slept very well last night.   I know I did.  Once I took a shower and ate a little dinner, I realized just how zoinked out I was from the heat and the water.  I felt like a wet noodle.  A very satisfied wet noodle.  And the fun thing was that we didn't really plan any of it.  People just showed up.  We didn't sweat over food.  I grilled some hot dogs.  We drank the sodas we had on hand, and when we got hungry yesterday, we just ordered pizza.  Nice and relaxed.  I didn't even get worked up about all the three oversized loads of beach towels I washed this weekend.  I gave 'em a spin in the washer and then hung them over chairs on the patio to dry.  An hour later I rolled them up and threw them in the Man Cave for the next impromptu pool party.  Which I hope is very soon.  I need a few days to prepare for the next one though.  I'm thinking I should probably shave my legs and exfoliate before I get that nekked in front of that many people again.  Forty seven year old legs don't do "impromptu" very well.       

3 comments:

Trailboss said...

Sounds like a perfect holiday weekend.

Linda said...

Sounds like you had a great time! We had family here - no pool, but lots of food and great times.

Living Life said...

Don't you just love those impromptu gatherings! Sounds like the perfect weekend!