Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My New Favorite Number

Well, there’s no backing out now. I sent in my registration for the Trail Run. Can you believe I’d pay $65 to torture myself? I don’t want to think about the amount of crazy in that decision. I bought the shoes (another $100) and have been breaking them in, and I blogged about it, so I’m committed right? The race is March 8th, and as that day inches closer, it’s all I can think about as I go about my daily business.

14.25 miles. I hear it in my ears. It pops up in my dreams. I think about it when I’m driving down the road and singing along with Fergie. 14. 25 miles. It bounces around in my brain when I’m taking a shower, cooking dinner and ironing clothes. 14.25 miles…..over dirt paths…up and down hills…dodging puddles and jumping over roots and rocks. March in Kentucky is unpredictable. It could be warm. It could snow. It could be wet and cool. It will definitely be muddy, and I will definitely get dirty. This is what one guy looked like when he finished two years ago.





Hmmm. I guess I shouldn’t count on my white shoes staying white. I’m trying not to be nervous about this thing, but I really am. I’ve thought about it so much that I’m ready to tackle it and get it over.…all 14.25 miles. Fourteen miles is nothing to a serious runner, but remember, I’m a pokey, 40-something woman who never ran for anything other than Italian Crème Cake until a year ago. I won’t be winning any medals next weekend. This race is all about beating myself.

Since I’m a Trail Run virgin I’ve tried to set realistic goals. Most importantly, I don’t want to fall and hurt myself. I’ve already taken one tumble this past year. I don’t need another. Besides, there are two to three miles between every aid station. That’s a long way to hobble. I want to run as much of the race as I can. I want to finish and to cross the finish line running. I’m guessing it will take me about three hours, but I’m not going to worry about time….much….I don’t think. At the end of the day I just want to be able to say that I ran my first half marathon…all 14.25 stinkin’ miles.

The other thing I’m looking forward to is being exposed to some seriously strong runners. This race also has a full marathon (26 miles), a 60K (36 miles) and a 50 mile run. 50 miles. That’s right. 50 miles. It will take them anywhere from seven to eleven hours to finish. I can’t imagine. I want to imagine, but I can’t. Therefore, I shall watch, and hopefully, get a little inspiration for the season. Oh, and did I mention that the average age of the runners is 42 years old? How about that? This race is for mature folks, most of who are like me, running from old age. Old age…the other thing that runs through my mind almost as much as that 14.25 miles.

5 comments:

dlyn said...

My first stop on your blog and I start out totally impressed - I will be back to see how you get along and how do you in the race. :)

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking about you while I cuddle up with my fleece blanket, with a good book, and a nice fire brewing in the fireplace. I'll be back to check on you. Shall I mail you some band-aids? Maybe you should have ordered some chaps from Kemo-Sabe.

oreneta said...

Be glad 50 isn't your new favorite number, good grief!

and good luck.

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I think I'd like to run..but I get a stitch in my side just thinking about it. Besides that things get jostled up on the inside that don't like jostling. Then, there's that old coot on the tv commercial that says that he never ran a step before he was 39 and now he runs in all kinds of races. Maybe I'll go to the park and walk today and think about running. You are so impressive to me. Go for it! Who cares about your finish time. I'm just praying that you finish! and even if you don't, you entered the race and you ran til you couldn't! That's worth $165. Can't wait! Vicky

Hula Girl at Heart said...

dlyn-Welcome! So glad you stopped by.

Swampy-chaps-Hee haw! Too funny.

Oreneta-50 miles and 50 years old-not ready for either one.

Vicky-You can do it. Start slow with walking. Build up some stamina, then add short bursts of running (not too fast) to your walking. Go gradually. It takes many weeks. Before you know it, you'll be running more than walking and going farther than you believed you could. Make sure you get good shoes, though. Cheap shoes will cause all kinds of knee, leg and foot problems.