Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fun Monday-A Love Story






Well, well, well, Woodland mama is hosting Fun Monday this week, and she's given us a very interesting assignment. It goes like this:

Write the beginning of an unusual love story (not a real one). I only want the first paragraph. You can add an illustration or a picture to spice it up if you are really daring.


This is an assignment I can sink my teeth into. I love a good love story. Not those sappy romances with heaving bosoms, ripped peasant blouses and swashbuckling heroes. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I went through a Barbara Cartland phase in about seventh grade, hiding paperbacks behind my propped up social studies book and reading victorian page after page during class. That phase passed when I discovered a box of my mom's old books and spent a summer secretly working my way through more adult material like Peyton Place and Valley of The Dolls. THAT was an eye opening summer. I still like a trashy Jackie Collins read every now and then, but these days I really like a more complex love story, something with depth, something kind of gritty, something more...hmmm...real. Humor doesn't hurt either. So after some thought, here ya' go Woodland mama, the beginning of something complex and something real with a hint of love.


Chapter 1


"So this is America," Karina thought as she slowly stepped out of the airport and onto the busy sidewalk. She lifted her weathered face to the sky and shaded her eyes from the bright sun. It was one of those autumn days when summer lingers a little too long, making the sky a vivid blue and the air crisp and clean. The kind of day that always sent Reenie's mind swimming back to the fall of 1944 and her unexpected rescue from the the Gross Roben camp in the Polish woods. As was her habit, she concentrated hard enough and long enough until she pushed aside the horrible snapshots of the camp until she was left with just the face of a handsome American soldier, a soldier who had changed her life with one brief moment, the soldier she had come to the United States to find forty years later.


I will resist the urge to break the rules and write more than one paragraph, but oh how I could go on and on. I'll pacify myself by reading everyone else's prose. Come on! Follow me over to Woodland mama's for more.

23 comments:

SwampAngel65 said...

Oh wow, I want to know more!! I NEED to know more!!! You can't leave us hanging...one little paragraph and it already sounds like something I'd start reading and wouldn't be able to put down until I finished.

Please, oh please...tell us you'll give us at the very least, a new paragraph each week?!?!


(Don't bother going to my site. I suck at writing and sisn't sign up for this week's assignment!)

Mike Golch said...

that is good I cannot hold a candle to this nor shall I try.

Faye said...

I think we're starting something! I too want to know how the first meeting in the U.S. went. Was the Yankee still a hero to Reenie when she saw him again?

BTW--I too read Peyton Place too young!

Jason, as himself said...

Oooooooooo, good start.

Woodlandmama said...

That's a great start. The frustrating thing about it is you want more, but isn't that what you're supposed to do, leave 'em wanting more?

Woodlandmama said...

Oh, and thanks for participating!

Mia said...

oh nope,nope you are not going to do that are you? Leave us hanging....

karisma said...

Oh NO! You can't stop there! Break the rules! Break the Rules! More story please!

karisma said...

ok its me back again, just to point out that you have given us a paragraph, not a chapter! Ahem! Keep it coming young lady!

karisma said...

ok I take that back, I see the monkey lady only wanted a paragraph! Ok so just cheat already

Hootin Anni said...

I broke the rules....LOL

But, but, I must say I want more. I have pictured a handsome, loving man in the Army Air Corps uniform [in her memory] and now he's a suave business gentleman who will sweep her off her feet and live happily ever after!!!

More, more!!

Mine's posted. Stop by if you can...it's all about Sarah and Jake!!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Great start. I must know, does she find him?!?

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

Hula--that's awesome! Don't let that go to waste...you have a good story there. : )

Rayne said...

Good beginning. I would love to know what happens next.

Amy said...

Okay, Hula, I seriously have goose pimples.....You need to finish this one and share it with the rest of us....I'm just saying.:)

Sayre said...

MOre, more! Why did she wait 40 years?

Jan said...

Excellent, you've got the knack.

Anonymous said...

This is a good story - wondering if there is any truth to the details. Thanks for the read.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Oh write more, please. :D

Alison said...

you must continue this story...I love it..

Tanya said...

You know, November is National Novel Writing Month. You should definitely continue that story.
Please.

Unknown said...

That's the only bad thing about the limitation, it leaves me hanging! Dang!

Cruise Mom said...

I'll buy that book - more please!