Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fun Monday-Sports

The lovely Heather over at Heather's Recipes is this week's Fun Monday host, and she wants to know about sports, specifically:


I want to hear about whatever sports team(s) that make you cry tears of joy when they win and tears of sorrow when they lose. And on the flip side, I also want to hear about the teams you love to hate and why you hate them so much.



Well, this one's a little tough for me, because I watch absolutely no sports whatsoever. Oh, I'm glued to every event at the Olympics every couple of years and not just because of Michael Phelps' abs. I just love seeing the world's best athletes come together for some of the most intense competition in all of athletics. And I'll watch a chick sport like ice skating when I stumble across it in winter, but other than that I watch zip. Nadda. Nothing. Zilch. Hubby's the same way. It's one of the reason's I married him. Pre-Hubby I dated a man who was intense about his football, and I decided right then and there I was not going to be a football widow for the rest of my life.


It's tough being a non sports fan in Kentucky. Apparently, the eleventh commandment is Thou Shalt Root For The Wildcats because just about everyone in this state bleeds Wildcat blue...except for me, the two University of Tennessee fans at church and the llone brave University of Louisville fan at work. Even if you didn't graduate from U.K. you are expected to Go Big Blue from November to March. My favorite time to go to a restaurant in the winter is during a U.K. game. That's because everyone else is at home watching TV. You can get any table you want at Red Lobster, no waiting, during a Kentucky game. It is bliss for those of us who like a garlic biscuit better than a rebound. I must say I do enjoy the NCAA tournament because there are so many upsets and Cinderella wins. And oddly enough, I'm pretty decent at picking the tournament winners. I won the office pool a couple of years ago. What is it they say? Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.


So what teams do I cheer for? Any team that involves a child I know. While I don't give two figs for most televised sports, I love watching live games that involve my kid or someone else's. This athlete is my passion. I've cheered through a year of T-ball, two years of softball and three years of competitive cheer leading. I'm the loudest fan in the stands when she's playing...or my friends' kids are playing....or my favorite special Olympian S. is playing. Heck, I love it when the church volleyball team plays. If it's live and I know you, I'm there for you. However, if it's a Saturday in December and Red Lobster is having a ShrimpFest, well, you'll have to look elsewhere. I'll be at the corner table eating a garlic biscuit..or two.

12 comments:

Mike Golch said...

none of the Cleveland teams do that for me any more. the truth is no Pro sports team turns me on any more. it is all for the love of the money that these out of shape football pros get paid. the wining basketball players and baseball players are a turnoff as well.give me back the 50's when they playerd the games because they wanted to.The football players back that if the had a sprained finger or toe it was taped up and back into the game they went.

Heather said...

I love all your Red Lobster descriptions! I think rooting for your kid (or one you know) is one of the best things anyone can do. Watching someone in a sports event you know is almost always more exciting than a pro game. And I do love the Olympics. I watch as much as I can.

Thanks for playing this week!

karisma said...

Yay! I think I must go for the same team! I also am not into sport outside of kids sport!

Ali said...

My kids (boy and girl) both play rugby and I spend Saturday mornings at foggy touchlines cheering them on. They're not the team I'm most rabid about though ... you'll have to pop over and see who they are ;-)

SwampAngel65 said...

It's so much more fun to cheer for the folks you know and love! I hate soccer, but when my step-daughter started playing I found myself yelling and cheering as hard as all those "soccer moms".

It's all the difference between playing because you love the game, and playing because it's your job.

Hootin Anni said...

For a while....my HUSBAND was the sports 'widower'...'til he decided "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." So now we're both avid fans [of two sports]

Happy Fun Monday.

And, backing everything your child does is commendable!!! Way to go.

Debs said...

Watching kids play is always better than anything a professional can do. ;)

Alison said...

great post!!! my favorite games/athletes to watch are the same as yours!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm from Kentucky too! :)

I don't watch any sports either, except for my niece and nephew's soccer games.

jsi said...

I agree - kid's sports are much more exciting! (And it's the concluding statement I made at my site.)

Too many high-priced tantrum babies are found within so many professional sports. I love watching a teenager reach deep inside of themselves at try try try at whatever they are doing.

Sorry you're surrounded by intense football fans when you don't care much about it.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

It is nice to know that you are the loudest cheerer! Yeah!! Even a non-sports fan can appreciate the team players.

Gattina said...

I never watch any games either and would never go to one. And people around me are the same. Anyway the only thing which gets people hysterical here in Europe is football or as you call it "soccer" !