Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fun Monday-Aging

This week's Fun Monday hostess is the lovely Sayre, and she wants us to peer into the future. She wants to know what kind of old person we think we'll be. Here is the assignment:

Using your imagination, project into the future and tell me what you will be like as an 80-year old. Will you be someone who doesn't accept the aging process, spending all your time in the gym and the bars, or will you be a rocking chair granny, or something in between?

Well, I don't expect to be in the bars because that will seem like a waste of rapidly dwindling time. And it can be bad for your health. I may be in the gym, but I kind of doubt it. I figure by age eighty, I'll throw in the towel on working out and decide to enjoy the cheesecake and stretchy pants. I'll probably be taking a brisk daily walk and enjoying the occasional margarita though. And hopefully, I'm living on a beach where the sun is warm and the breezes are soft.


This is a question I hadn't thought much about until Sayre posed it. I hope at eighty, I'm somewhat healthy, content with my life and surrounded by family and friends who don't mind putting up with my crotchety ways. I hope I've seen the world and its people and used to the best of my ability the gifts that God has given me. I also hope I've aged as gracefully as some folks I admire for the way they've grown older. Like my mother, and my grandmother. And some people you're more familiar with.


I hope I have the spirit and intelligence of Katharine Hepburn.The grit and style of Elizabeth Taylor.

The humor of Carol Burnett.I definitely hope I have the grace and independence of Jackie Onassis.The work ethic of Helen Thomas.And the spirituality and love of life of Dolly Parton.Most of all, I hope I haven't lost my mind. Ha!

Now, mosey on over with me to Sayre's and see what everybody else thinks about being eighty.

*Photos courtesy of: geocities.com, broadwayworld.com, neoneocon.com, martinbrownart.wordpress.com, huffingtonpost.com and celebrityroyale.com.

12 comments:

Janis said...

To grow old with grace and dignity is sometimes hard to do. I hope I don't get bitter and cynical like some older people do. You have a good outlook. Happy fun monday

The Girl Next Door said...

THIS is an AWESOME post! Quite well done! And like you I have similar goals - a margarite (or a Dark & Stormy) and a walk on the beach. Yep.

Hootin Anni said...

YOu've shared a lot of wonderful role models for us all. Just look at 'em....I wanna be just like them in my time. But who really knows what the future has in store for us...

Your post is great.

My fun monday is posted....but, take note, there is an 'x' rated cartoon involved. But all in fun. In fact my whole 80'ish monday today, IS fun!!!

Sayre said...

I think part of the reason growing older isn't as scary anymore is because of the marvelous role models we've had of how to age gracefully. You have hit the nail on the head.

Oh, and I vote for stretchy pants and cheese cake over the gym anyday. That may be why I'm in the shape I'm in now, come to think of it!

jill said...

i hope to be graceful and use my talents, as you said. if not graceful, well at least not icky. he he. have a good one!

Mariposa said...

Love this post...and I share your last hope more than anything, I also hope to keep my mind, no, I mean my sanity! LOL

After all they say, "Aging gracefully is a matter of self-esteem!".

Rayne said...

Fantastic role models. I admire each and every one of those women. Great post.

Beckie said...

Good point - I forgot to mention sense of humor in my post. Carol Burnet is a great example of that.

I agree with Sayre. The role models that are out there these days that have some age under their belts made it a little bit easier to think about getting older. It's not as scary as it used to be.

Sandy said...

What terrific role models you've chosen! Good job.

ChrisB said...

Great post you have chosen some good role models.

Stephanie, Mama Dramatist said...

LOVE your role models!!

And AMEN to not losing our minds!!

A New England Life said...

I'm with you Hula Girl.

Here's hoping we're still taking brisk walks at 80. I think it's important to keep busy as we grow older. It seems like the people who stay active are the ones who live the longest. Not to mention a positive attitude can go a long way!

I don't drink anymore but maybe by then I will have started again! LOL!

Sharon