Thursday, June 11, 2009

Oh Emmy, Where Have You Been All My Life?

I snubbed my teenaged nose at your music when I first heard you years ago. My rock and roll arrogance deafened my ears to your brilliance for thirty, count ‘em, thirty years. I mocked your prematurely gray hair and called you backwards. Oh Emmy, I was wrong, so so wrong. You’re not a hillbilly. You’re not whiney. You’re something indefinable. Something unique. Your voice speaks to my soul. Your poetic lyrics on songs like Michelangelo are genius, and I love that you refuse to dye your hair or change your style for commercial radio.

Now that I’ve stumbled upon you again, I can’t get enough of you, Red Dirt Girl. I can’t believe I was so wrong before. Surely, it's not because I'm beginning to love country music? Forgive me Emmy; I know not what I do sometimes. I have seen the error of my ways, and I’m here to share my newfound love with the world. And I’m not letting my inability to post a video or copyright laws get in my way.

Go here, my friends and enjoy the love that is Emmy Lou Harris. And great Gertie, why didn’t someone tell me Emmy Lou and Dave Matthews did a concert together on CMT? ‘Cause I definitely would have shown up for class on that day.

5 comments:

Rink's Ramblings said...

What I love about Emmy Lou Harris is that she can blend her voice with anybody. She's fabulous in the Neil Young concert film "Heart of Gold."

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

Oh Emmy...what a pure voice. Her "Angel Band" cd has been played a gazillion times in my little pickup. (ipod too...and the ipod buds pick up some notes better for these old ears)

"Where Could I Go But to the Lord"
"Drifting Too Far" and so on...Awesome, amazing talent.

I second Rink's comment...."she can blend her voice with anybody."

Glad you've "come back to the fold." ~~ grin ~~ Sit back and enjoy her music, her gift.

Aoj and The Hounds said...

Have you heard her version of "Boulder to Birmingham"? Brings me out in goosebumps everytime I hear it.

oreneta said...

EmmY!!! You didn't love EMMY for ages...she is a goddess....and I have to say, she does an absolutely magical job with Jerusalem....

Stephanie, Mama Dramatist said...

I LOVE me some Emmy.

But then again, I'm a Texican....