Monday, June 22, 2009

Things Hula Loves

Friends who have chickens…because I get fresh eggs. I love the fact that the texture is mottled and that they come in various shades of tan and beige.Some are speckled. Some are not. They remind me of when I was a kid and mama bought eggs from my school bus driver. On Friday mornings when I climbed the bus steps I gave Hazel Schaffer egg money and on Friday afternoons I climbed off the bus with two dozen brown eggs. Until I was about eight years old I thought all eggs were brown.

Fresh from the hen eggs taste so much better than the supermarket kind, and they’re really tasty on a Sunday night when you fry them up, throw them on fresh from the bakery bread with some provolone cheese, a slice of salami and a little ham and then grill them in a buttered skillet. Hubby is a well done guy. I like mine a little over easy so the yolks run a little when you bite into them. By the way, Hazel’s doing fine. As so often happens in a small town, I ran into her at the funeral home a couple of years ago. She’s retired, but she doesn’t have chickens anymore. Something about that seems wrong.

7 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Fresh eggs are always great.

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

When I was a kid I remember going with my grandma to the local farm down the road to get eggs. 30 years later they are STILL selling eggs! : )

J.G. said...

You are so right. I just recently discovered fresh eggs (co-op, not supermarket) and love the varied colors and sizes! There was a blue one last time.

Trailboss said...

We sold our chickens. They actually never came home cause Joe hasn't felt well enough to build the coop. They sure did spit out some tasty eggs though.

Janis said...

We had a farmer make the rounds in our neighborhood when I was a kid, and we always bought fresh eggs n produce. That dish you prepared looks delish...do you know you just did a FM post??? The topic was, what are your favorite foods. LOL.

janjanmom said...

I want chickens sooooo much. Hubby is not yet convinced. I keep trying though.

Living Life said...

Oooooohh, that egg sandwhich looks yummy. Only thing I would do different it put a nice slice of juicy tomatoe on top!