Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ask Hula Girl

Why the name Hula Girl At Heart?
It’s the name of a Jimmy Buffet song. I love the lyrics and like to think they fit where I am at this stage of life. A sample:

She knows how to face the music
She knows where the magic starts
In a world that needs more dancing
She’s still a hula girl at heart.


She has worn a wealth of costumes
Hula skirts to wedding gowns
Lived in cities walked through jungles
Always sees the sun go down


Her sensual and easy motion
Seems impossible to chart
In a world that needs more dancing
She’s still a hula girl at heart.

Why do you not use your real name or post pictures of your family?

I like my anonymity. Very few people who actually know me know that I blog. I would probably have a lot more readers if I shared this with acquaintances, but it gives me freedom from censorship. As for pictures, I’m just leery about having that kind of thing out there for potential abuse by others. Besides, my peeps like their privacy too.

Why do you blog?
I have dreams of writing a novel one day (doesn’t everybody). I have a file of notes and a thin outline rolling around in my head but need to start putting it on paper. I thought this would be a good way of training myself to write every day. I didn’t expect to enjoy having cyber friends so much. I absolutely love having folks stop by and comment.

What is your dream job?
Being a Rockette. I’ve always wanted to be a Rockette. I love watching them on the Macy’s parade every year and still harbor that pipe dream that maybe one day they’ll call and offer me a fuzzy hat and boots. Stop laughing. I mean it. Right now.

If you had an extra hour in each day what would you do with it?
Community theater. I miss doing plays and hope to dabble with it when Teen Angel is grown and has left the nest. Or I might sleep.

Do you wish you had more children?
Some days. A second child would have required daycare, and I didn’t want to do that. There are plenty of other reasons why we only had one child that are too long to type here, but basically, I don’t have any regrets about the decision.

What is your biggest regret?
That I didn’t take all of the money I had in the bank when I was 21 years old and take my grandmother on a trip. She was a wonderful, sweet person who was never able to afford luxuries, and I’m sad that she died without getting to travel much.

Do you miss working in television news?
Not really. I love what I do now, and it was a great decision for my family.
Supervising forty egos in the fast paced environment of TV news was exhausting and stressful. I don’t miss that. I love a really good murder trial and kind of miss covering those. I will also miss not seeing the Presidents and presidential candidates up close when they come to town. I used to organize our coverage for that and really enjoyed it.

What do you like best about yourself?
I’m a good listener.

What do you like least about yourself?
It’s a tie between my impatience and my belly button. I’m working on my impatience and as soon as I can save up for Fraxel laser treatments, I’m going to zap those old pregnancy stretch marks around my belly button. Which should be sometime after Teen Angel graduates from college, and I have paid off my mortgage.

Do you have an addiction?
Yes. Clothes. Nothing feels so good as a new outfit. I just hate the trying on part.

2 comments:

janjanmom said...

I feel so "in" and chosen right now. I'm elite. I respect your anonymity too though. It must be fun. I'm just a let it all hang out kind of girl, much to the dismay of, well, everyone.

Go novel!!

janjanmom said...

I know what you did last summer.