Monday, October 8, 2007

Goodbye Sunshine

As I type this, I'm watching the sun set in a blazing array of pinks and purples. The sun is slowly sliding into the sparkling waves of the ocean, saying goodbye to another beautiful day. Today was priceless. I spent the day lounging on a quiet, small town beach with about six other people, all of them appearing to be residents of the area. Ten feet away a tree full of parrots sang me into a nap, while the local senior citizens club danced some polkas at a nearby pavilion. Just me, a book and tropical breezes mingling among the locals. It was bliss. I was the last to leave the beach, reluctantly giving up my corner of sand because I will not see the ocean again for a while. I fly home tomorrow afternoon because I have to get back to work to finish a big project. My family will stay two more days, and I am jealous of those two days. I am grateful, though, for the short time I had here this week. And I will say goodbye to the Sunshine State slowly. When I turn off the computer, I will slip outside to the dock behind this rental house and sit alone in the breezy dark, drinking in the nighttime sounds and smells. Yes, it's been a good day. Here's to many more....sometime...in....the...future....hopefully....soon.

3 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

I love your descriptions. I used to live in a very cold and dark state. Now I live in CA and I'm so happy that I don't have to say goodbye to the sunshine.

janjanmom said...

Glad you are back AND sorry you are back. ( ;

Swampwitch said...

Very nicely written and I'm almost there with you...except that it's about 40 degrees here and my fingers and toes don't believe that we're in FL.