Saturday, October 6, 2007

A Nod to Baby Ruth

The transition into fully becoming my mother is moving along nicely. Not only am I buying more comfortable shoes and avoiding foods that will upset my digestive tract after 8pm, I have learned the art of nodding off at any time. When I was a kid, I used to laugh at Baby Ruth because she could fall asleep anywhere if she just sat still for a few minutes. It didn't matter where she was. I couldn't believe she could sleep on a bus or in a car, with a whole crowd of people watching. Thirty years later, I'm doing the same thing. I guess because I'm so tired as an adult. I can sleep anywhere, and it doesn't matter how noisy my surroundings are. I once fell asleep in the middle of a room full of twelve year old girls bouncing off the walls during a lock-in. Hubby says I could sleep through a tornado, and he's probably right. I nod off all the time at night when reading or trying to watch tv, but now I've finally gone public with my sleepiness. On the flight to Florida yesterday Hubby sat behind me. He kept tapping me on the shoulder asking me stuff. He gets really bored and can't stand having nothing to do in a confined space. I guess I had fallen asleep several times because everytime he tapped me on the shoulder I jerked awake. The last time he did it, I turned around and hissed, "Stop waking me up!" "I just thought you'd like to know you were about to put your head on the shoulder of the guy next to you." Oops! I guess I had gotten so comfortable, I was about to snuggle up next to the nice man from Australia who had lived in Tampa for 21 years and was flying home to his wife and two teenaged kids. He was nice, but I don't think he would have been very nice if I had laid my head on his shoulder. I had a little drool on my mouth, too. Yep, I was hunkered down for a long winter's nap on a plane full of dozens of people. Baby Ruth would have been proud.

No comments: