Monday, April 7, 2008

Fun Monday-Celebrity Crushes

Jo Beaufoix is hosting this week's Fun Monday, and she wants us to tell about our first celebrity crush. Here are her instructions: I want to know about your first ‘celebrity’ crush. You know, the one you fancied from that band, or that film, or who read the news, or who won Gold at the Olympics.
Did you have their pictures on your wall or in your locker?
Did you dress like them, style or colour your hair like them, follow them, meet them, marry them? (It could happen.)
Photos of THEM would be good, photos of YOU at the time you liked them would be even better.
Also, if you have time, I’d like to know whether they had any influence over your life, the person you became, or if they were just an embarrassing blip you would kind of rather forget about.


Okay, this is a topic I can yak about for hours because I had soooo many celebrity crushes as a preteen and teen. When my brother reads this post he is going to roll with laughter at all those memories of me pasting posters from Tiger Beat and Teen Beat on my bedroom walls. It was bad, really bad. There were too many celebrity crushes to list them all, so I'll just focus on a couple. First of all, let me set the stage. Here's what I looked like back then.



How about that cheerleading pose, hmm? As Fergie says, glamorous...or so I thought. M*A*S*H was one of my favorite television shows, wide pants were in and saddle oxfords were back...for the third time. We took Pringles chips in our lunchboxes, and you weren't cool if you didn't have a Trapper Keeper. I had a crush on about half the boys in my class, but I saved my biggest crushes for the stars that graced my TV and radio. I flirted briefly with a crush on the Fonz. Happy Days was pretty new, and he seemed cool. But then my cousin from "up north" came to visit and informed me that the Fonz was old hat in her neck of the woods and anybody who was anybody liked that newcomer, John Travolta, from Welcome Back Kotter. So as not to appear a country bumpkin, I switched my alliance immediately. It didn't last long though because pretty soon I discovered the pop king that would make me swoon, cause me to watch The Hardy Boys religiously and cover my bedroom wall with dozens of posters....Shaun Cassidy.

Oh yeah. I was hot for Joe Hardy. I spent every spare dime I had on Tiger Beat magazine. I pored over his vital statistics. I could tell you his birth date, the names of his family members, his height, his weight and the name of his pets. I played his 45's over and over and sang Da Doo Ron Ron 'til my voice was done gone. It was bad. Almost as bad as my mother's cousin's crush on Elvis. Although, I never had to fight over my celebrity memorabilia in divorce court like she did. Just for fun, I zipped around the web to see what Shaun looks like today. Here's a little before and after action.

Hmmm. Not too bad, but what happened to that cute little backside? Well, I guess teen heart throbs get old too. Old videos of him singing his three hit songs are on YouTube, and by the looks of the comments, I wasn't the only one with a hankering for this Hardy Boy.

My Shaun Cassidy crush started to fade when my hormones really kicked in. I discovered a new man, one a little edgier and a little more dangerous. Ain't that just like a woman? Always falling for the bad guy. This guy rolled across my radio one day with Tonight's The Night and I fell hard. In fact, I never looked back. I dumped Shaun for Rod Stewart and his naughty music....his sexy butt (are you seeing a trend) and his spiky hair. My best friend, E., fell too. We worshiped at the Do Ya' Think I'm Sexy alter for hours, picking up the needle on the turntable and repeating the dirty parts of his songs to squeals of "Can you believe he said that?" Here's what my boy Rod looks like today.


He's holding up pretty well for sixty. I can't believe he's that old. And to be honest with you, I still have the hots for him. After all these years, and after those wrinkles set in, I'm still in love with this bad boy. I will be sad when he stops singing. I finally saw him in concert about twenty years ago. I was so into the show, I hardly spoke to my date all night. I'd like to see Rod one more time before he quits touring. I've been combing Ticket Master the last couple of years, trying to catch him close to home. He's getting close. He has an August show about five hours away from me. I may catch a little Hot Legs before the summer is over. In the meantime, I'll make do with my current celebrity crush. Have you seen his butt?

14 comments:

Heather said...

Rod Stewart, really? Your last guy looks goooooood! Can I have him, too?

oreneta said...

I was looking at the last one, and thinking that I had a Shaun Cassidy thing long long ago.

I cannot figure out who the last guy is, but Eldest (adolescent) commented pithily that she thinks the last one looks like he had a baloon shoved up his butt and someone pumped. His arms look freaky. I quote. I am not, however sure I agree.

ChrisB said...

I can't believe how many of you swooned over Shaun Cassidy, he came way after my crush era! Rod Stewart looks pretty good for his age!!

j said...

Excellent taste my dear! All very hot men!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Wow- lots of crushes on Shaun this week!

That last one- wow!! Who is he?

Molly said...

The young Shaun Cassidy was hotter than Rod Stewart, but your boy Rod is a better singer. You are right Matthew is steaming hot and a fantastic actor.

Amy said...

"Hey Deannie(not sure of spelling, I was in the second grade) won't you come out tonight?"....

Shaun Cassidy was the first concert I ever went to. They darkened the theater, a big paper ring came down from the ceiling, the spotlight was shining on it, and all of a sudden....there he was.....with his back to me, shaking his groove thing,yeah,yeah!:) Then he jumped through it....my friend Brenda still has ear damage.:)

I used to have to fight my dad for tevee time....Hardy Boys came on at the same time as 60 minutes.:(

And yes, I have seen Matthew's backside......not bad, not bad at all!:)

Alison said...

I had a Trapper Keeper!! We must be the same age!!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Shaun Cassidy is very poular today, but that's the first Rod aI think. And the last one looks very nice.
Thanks for playing and have a wonderful day. :D

Supercop said...

It's good that you can finally admit your addiction. LOL! I still remember the collage on your bedroom door! Don't forget Leif Garrett & the Bay City Rollers- Woody

Faye said...

Rod Stewart? Make that sophomore in college for me and I can remember exactly where I listened to him over and over with Danger Boy--Panama City beach in FL.

You were a darling little cheerleader--notice thse precisely placed pom poms!

BS said...

OH YES, I have !!

IamwhoIam said...

What a collection. But you seem like a little sweetie.

Pamela said...

Oh gosh, when I watched Labrynth I fell in love with him, too. but only once.

ooooooohhhhhh,... I wonder if songbird has seen you crushing over her Matthew!... hee hee.