Friday, April 18, 2008

Who's That Girl?

Remember how I mentioned a little while back that I was on my college pom pon squad and that somewhere out there is a calendar with a photo of me in my uniform with 80’s hair and a big cheesy smile? Well, I didn’t find the calendar, but this week Teen Angel stumbled upon a bunch of pictures of me in that uniform, and they just cracked me up. At the risk of seeming narcissistic I had to share them with you because I think you’ll find them funny, too, especially if you’re about my age. That’s because those pictures from 20 plus years ago are a snapshot of my search at age twenty for who I wanted to be…or who I thought I should be….or who I thought I was expected to be. Whatever. You get the idea. I look at these pictures and ask myself, who IS this girl because this isn’t the Hula I know now. Thankfully, I skipped the usual hot roller routine the day these photos were made, so you won’t see the really big hair I usually had at the time.

Here is my sultry, I want to be sexy look. I’m surprised I’m not pouting. I wanted to be hot. I just didn’t know how.


This is my contemplative, I’m so deep pose. I guess I wanted to be smart AND sexy.


Here’s my all American look, which really meant I want to be sexy but want you to think I’m the girl next door. Geez.

This is my serious pose. I guess I was trying to be…I don’t know what I was trying to be.
Again, I ask myself, where is the real Hula in all of this posing?


Ah. There she is. The goofy, never quite completely together girl who has a habit of falling and scraping her knees and putting her foot in her mouth. In a stack of about fifteen pictures, this was the only one that seemed real.

6 comments:

Amy said...

"The goofy, never quite completely together girl who has a habit of falling and scraping her knees and putting her foot in her mouth."

You just described me...:)

You made a very pretty cheerleader, Hula!

About this comment:
"Thankfully, I skipped the usual hot roller routine the day these photos were made, so you won’t see the really big hair I usually had at the time."

I would LOVE to see one of those...If you show us one yours...I'll show you all one of mine.:) I love 80's hair pictures.

Mia said...

Gimmie an H
gimmie a U
gimmie an L
gimmie an A
What do ya got? LEGS!!!
Great pics.

oreneta said...

I like the last one best, it is a great photo...you look kind of concerned too.

Brenda said...

Your pix were cute! I found it interesting, though, that when you look at them you wonder "who IS this girl"! Whenever I look at my old photos, I know who she is/was (despite who I wanted to be at the time)... and I feel MATERNAL about it! Must be some kind of inner child parenting instinct!

Jason, as himself said...

Very, very interesting.

Whaddya mean, WANTED to be sexy?

:)

Anonymous said...

Gloomy fall days brightened up by her cheerful posing.