Monday, December 29, 2008

Danger Will Robinson

Warning, warning! I have a new hobby, and I feel obligated to warn you about it, since I tend to dive headlong into stuff like a rat in a cheese factory. For quite some time I've wanted a really nice camera. I've been interested in photography for years. It started when I worked in television news and always appealed to the artsy fartsy creative side of my being. Since I was obligated to feed and clothe my child and help to keep a roof over our heads, I put off buying a good camera thinking it was something I'd get around to some day. But sometime in the last few months I decided that "some day" had come. I hoarded a couple of gift certificates I received in November and my personal spending money and asked that everyone buying me a Christmas gift this year give me money or gift certificates so I could pool them all together to buy a camera. They did. And I did. Meet my new husband.
After a great deal of study, conversations with photographers and three trips to Best Buy, I picked out a Nikon D-60, and boy, am I IN LURV with little Niki. It takes the best photos. I tried it out today in the neighborhood and was a picture taking fool. If it moved, and even if it didn't I took its picture. Like the pine trees.
And the maple tree.
And the flag.
The dog looking forlornly out the french doors.
My goodness, that glass is dirtier than I realized. I won't bore you with all of the pictures I took of the dog, but let's just say he got a little tired of it.Then when the sun started to sink, I ran back outside to play with the late afternoon light. I have so much to learn. I have to figure out the whole aperture thing, and the ISO thing and composition. And I can't wait. Expect to be bombarded with a lot of bad photos in the near future. Sorry. This thing should have come with a warning label..."Can be highly addictive".

11 comments:

Mia said...

Your pictures are wonderful! I am looking forward to many more!! You need to start a Project 365 blog now!

janjanmom said...

Good,good, take a picture of the Santa breath lights in the park if you get a chance...my camera won't and I may die if I have to wait a whole year to see Santa's snowflake breath again.

Just if you happen to be out at night on the other side of the world experimenting with lights and photos at night...no pressure.

Is giving you photo experiment ideas like giving a drunk a drink?? I hope not.

Jan said...

Woo Hoo. Good for you.

oreneta said...

good good good....looking forward to all the photos...I am here debating the ethics of downloading photos onto my brother in law's computer.

Wooo hhooooo...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I too got a new camera for Christmas, but no where near as nice as yours. Mine is a connon power shot 8.0 mega pixels and 4x zoom. Still gotta figure out how to get the most out of it. Takes me a while! Looking forward to seeing great phots from you. If you need instructions, ipost can help you. Happy New Year to you and yours, May 2009 be a good one for you.

J.G. said...

It's always a good time to develop a new obsession. Congrats on yours. :-)

Cruise Mom said...

Ohhhh... have fun!

Trailboss said...

How well I know. I got a Cannon SR5 for Mother's day this year and I love it!

Loved the title to your post. My brother and I do the arms wailing and "danger danger" like the robot in Lost in Space.

Anonymous said...

When you figure out the whole "aperture thing" and the F-stop thing, would you come over and teach me? No matter how many photos I take, experimenting with all the F-stops, my best shots are the ones set on "AUTO" and "NO FLASH."
Seems as though the camera is smarter than the camera holder.

dkuroiwa said...

ooh...I'm am lusting after that camera!! lucky you!!
looking forward to all the wonderful stuff and people and etc. that you're going to be taking pictures of!!

Erica said...

Those pics are beautiful!! The last one is my absolute fav!! :) I look forward to seeing more!!