Sunday, December 28, 2008

Fun Monday-Holiday Post Game


Our lovely Fun Monday hostess this week is Sayre, and she wants a wrap up of our holidays. Specifically, she wants:



What was the most touching, wonderful part of Christmas for you this year?
AND what was the craziest, stupidest, funniest part this year?



Hmmm. Let's start with funniest first. All my life I have spent Christmas eve and Christmas with family. Those gatherings have always included food. I've never been in the position of being without a place to go or a ham dinner on one of those days. Since I've been married, Christmas eve has generally found us with Hubby's family. For a variety of reasons, that didn't happen this year. In fact, all of our family get togethers were scheduled on days other than December 24th, so me, Hubby and Teen Angel ended up looking for a place to eat Christmas eve dinner. We drove through town expecting to end up at whatever fast food joint was still open. Much to our surprise, we discovered a Mexican restaurant a few miles from our house with an "open" light on. We went inside and found about six other families being waited on by the poor fellow who obviously drew the unlucky straw of being the only server at the restaurant that night. We ate fajitas, chips and salsa for dinner, and I must say, the whole thing made me think about the final scene in A Christmas Story where they're at the Chinese restaurant singing Deck the Halls. As I looked around, I couldn't help but wonder why the other families were in the same position we were, with no place to go on the night before Christmas. It was kind of fun, but definitely out of the ordinary for us.

The most touching, wonderful part of Christmas for me happened December 19th, the day some elementary school students helped me find my Christmas spirit. I've already posted about it, and you can read about it here. It truly brought home for me the value in giving with a full and faithful heart. I hope your holiday season was a good one folks. Now, head on over to Sayre's and see what everyone else has to say today.

6 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

Your Christmas eve does sound like the one in The christmas story. It is hard to find a decent place open to eat on that night. Mexican's not bad, could have been worse.

Cruise Mom said...

Here in NH a lot of restaurants stayed open late on Christmas Eve in an attempt to make up for all the business they lost during the two consecutive weekends of storms. So you would have had a few more choices, but why not the traditional Fajitas and Salsa!

Trailboss said...

My funniest part was on Christmas Eve when I opened a present from my daughter. You can see it here http://ilovehorses-trailboss.blogspot.com/2008/12/someone-said-i-was-silly.html

hehe. My most sad time was here http://ilovehorses-trailboss.blogspot.com/2008/12/i-feel-so-bad.html but I had to do it.

All in all I am glad Christmas is past this year.

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

Only 1 server? I wonder how many cooks were there that night too!

Anonymous said...

Your story makes me break out in Warm Fuzzies...

As for your dinner, I plan on taking whoever is with us next year during Thanksgiving and Christmas to a restaurant. Any restaurant ! I was so tired by the time I put that meal on the table, I couldn't eat.
Maybe we can find a waiter to sing Deck the Halls with boughs of ha-ree...fa ra ra ra ra...ra ra ra ra.
And then watch him chop the head off a goose.

janjanmom said...

Mexican...hmmmm, sounds way better than going to the grocery.