Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Blessed Be the Tie That Binds

Dear Lord,
Forgive me, for I have sinned…again. It’s been umm..24 hours since my last confession. Can I get some kind of rewards card for stopping by so often? You know, like frequent flier miles? First of all, let me say I’m really sorry for that ugly word that slipped out of my mouth this morning when the soda machine was out of Diet Coke. It was early, I was sleepy and dadgum it, it was the second day in a row that I had to settle for Coke Zero. I know it shouldn’t matter, and I should be happy that I live in a place where I have fresh, clean water at my fingertips, but it did matter..and I wasn’t very nice about it. I’ll try to do better tomorrow.

I really liked what you did with the weather over the weekend. That sunny 73 degree trick you pulled was pretty snappy, and I was kind of hoping you could do it again this Saturday, if it’s not too much trouble. You see, I have this loooong race that starts at 6am and right now the forecast is calling for temperatures to be in the upper 20’s about that time. That’s a wee bit chilly for this summer baby, and I’d love it if you could kick things up a notch…or two…or three. If it’s really cold, I’ll be slinging snot all morning long, and let’s not get into that whole porta-potty thing. Anyway, whatever you could do about the weather would be greatly appreciated by my extremities. Couldn’t we swap with Argentina for the day? Okay. Okay. Just asking.

I’m pleading for a little wisdom today. This teenager thing is killin’ me. I don’t know if I have the strength for all the drama that comes with raising a fifteen year old girl and an overprotective husband. He can’t let go, and she’s shredding apron strings faster than I can tie them. She can’t even date yet, and it’s already crazy. Was I that emotional when I was that age? Whew. I didn’t think so. What? Maybe a little? Surely not? Well, remind me to double check with Mama on that one. I really don’t think I was, but you da’ man. If you say it’s so, it must be.

Speaking of Mama, help me to be patient with her in the coming week. She’ll be like a worm in hot ashes right before Super Cop’s wedding, and I get snappy with her when she gets all twitchy and doesn’t just relax and have a good time. Help us ALL to be patient with Papa T. and his bad attitude toward the cane. That little incident at Logan’s Steakhouse was downright childish, and I thought Sissy was going to whack him with that cane. Always help me to be mindful of how tough it is to lose your hearing, vision and independence. Well, I gotta’ go. I have to squeeze in a little more stretching tonight. Gotta’ keep those calves loosened up for Saturday. Clear your calendar for a long chat with me Saturday morning, say three hours or so. I have a feeling I’m going to be doing a lot of praying that day. You might want to prepare yourself. I may talk your ear off. Bless all the starving children, our soldiers in harm’s way and the old folks who are choosing between groceries, heat and medicine this week. And God Bless Coca-Cola.

Amen.

No comments: