Thursday, March 15, 2012

Oh, Snap! Literally.

Well, it wasn't exactly a snap.  More like an "Oof" followed by an "Ow, ow, ow!"  I was running with the dog last night, and while the blind animal who was moving at break neck speed managed to do just fine, I stepped on a break in the pavement, rolled my foot sideways and ended up in the emergency room.  Oh, how I love sitting in the ER waiting room in the middle of flu season.  Not.  If I'd known yesterday morning I was going to have to show my foot to medical personnel I would have gotten a pedicure.  At the very least, I would have taken a lotion bath.

Anyway, three hours later I was out of there with a torn ligament diagnoses and a prescription for pain medication.  And instructions to stay off that foot as much as possible in the coming days.  No running for at least two weeks.  They gave me a lovely stabilizing shoe, too.  The nurse didn't fully appreciate my Jimmy Choo joke, but Teen Angel did.  As usual, we were pretty amused by ourselves.  Until I got up off that hospital bed and tried walking on my foot toward the exit.  Ooh, I haven't seen stars like that since I whacked my head on an overhead shelf in college and almost knocked myself out.  I popped two Extra Strength Tylenol the minute I hit the truck for the ride home.

It was better this morning, but a couple of hours of limping around at work, quickly showed me that swelling is just a heartbeat away.  My toes looked like sausages by 10am so I took my fanny home and found a place on the sofa.  Right in front of the ottoman.  And that's where I spent the afternoon icing and elevating.  The upside?  I got to watch the NCAA tournament.  RACERS!!!! 

I am temporarily using Hubby's old crutches.  The lowest height they will go is 5'10".  I'm 5'6", so I'm swinging like a six year old on those things.  You need callouses on your armpits to use those things, don't you?  Sheez.  I shouldn't need them but for a day or two, so I'll tough it out, but I can't wait to get off the disabled list.  You see, I've never had a sprain, a broken bone or any kind of real injury.  I've never had major surgery, and the only time I've been hospitalized was when I gave birth to Teen Angel, so I'm not used to being a patient.  I don't like it.  At all.  However, I should be up to speed soon.  In the meantime, I'm staking out the couch, arm chair coaching and modeling the best in footwear.


2 comments:

Linda said...

Ouch! I hope you get better soon! If you don't already take Vitamin D3, start it right now! When I broke my little toe (2 times in 6 weeks), my orthopedic surgeon put me on 50,000 IU of D3 and the healing was amazingly fast! There is a lot of research out there on the benefits of it...I am a firm believer in it now! Just don't try to do too much...your Jimmy Choo shoes are SO stylish!

oreneta said...

OW!!! So sorry! Hope it heals up very very fast...and you enjoy the sofa time!