Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

I’m still working 16 plus hour shifts, but I had a quick chance to see my neighborhood in the daylight today for the first time since the ice storm hit Monday.

This is the pole that brings electricity to my street. This is the stick propping up the pole that brings electricity to my street. This is the line coming from the stick propping up the pole that brings electricity to my street.This is the pole that brings electricity to my home from the line from the pole that brings electricity to my street. This is what’s left of the tree that tore up the lines from the pole that brings electricity to my home from the line from the pole that brings electricity to my street. Still with me?
No? Okay, here’s what’s left of Mama J.’s and Papa’s T.’s big trees in their front yard. Toothpick anyone? And here’s my sweet little fringe tree. Sniff. I just can’t look at it very long. I won't be pruning the roses on my trellis this spring. This is just a glimpse of my neighbor’s backyard. And another neighbor’s trees. Oh, here’s the food from my refrigerator freezer. Sigh. The bad news is we probably won’t have power at my house for several more days. The good news is we got the trees trimmed and cut down and the meter box on our house fixed by the electrician, so we’re ready for service whenever the power company gets to our neighborhood. I got to sleep in my bed last night for the first time since Sunday night. It wasn’t a long sleep, but it was GLORIOUS.

All in all, the Hula-gen’s are doing very well, compared to a lot of other folks. We have food, enough heat (gas stove and camping heater) to keep from freezing at night and water. MANY folks in this western end of the state are without water, are stuck in shelters, are running out of portable oxygen and freezing in their homes. It’s sad to see the condition some folks are in. It truly is our Katrina-minus the football stadium and convention center. Send prayers. Normal is still a long way away.

12 comments:

oreneta said...

Good lord you poor things. All those people. *sigh* SO sad about all the trees.

Glad you got some sleep anyway.

Jan said...

All I can say is Good God, what a mess. Hope things turn around for you.

Lew Jetton said...

I'm giving away firewood at my house! Just come chop it up and haul it off! FREE!!!

Anonymous said...

I have been following this story on the national news. They are saying that this is the worst natural disater in the history of your state. Glad to hear you and your family are doing ok. Its the little things we learn to appreciate when we are faced with something like this. Better days will be here again, just keep the Faith!

Cruise Mom said...

Congratulations on scoring the generator. And for maintaining your sense of humor in this situation. Things look much worse there than they did up here in December. Hang in there!

A New England Life said...

Isn't this just awful. So glad you finally have a generator. Too bad everyone couldn't get one. I feel so bad for all the older people.

My friend who lives in Crestwood, KY just got her power back on this afternoon. I know she was some thrilled to get her life back too. My best to you and your family. Sorry about your tree and arbor : (

Living Life said...

I have been thinking about you alot, as this story has been all over the National news. Just looking at all those damaged trees is heartbreaking. I am sure you are ready for this chapter of your life to end real soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

Just so sorry that this has happened. I esp. think of the frail and those with illness in their families. Hold on...hold on. Easy to say, I know, when I don't have to go through it...but sending a big ol' Tennessee hug. May the "best come out" in people.

Trusting Him through it all.

Clark said...

My folks live in Kentucky and I had to arrange for them to find a hotel room when their power went out during the icestorm. We're used to being without power in Florida following hurricanes. But getting by without power in the summer is not nearly as bad as trying to do it in winter. Feel for you.

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

I don't think it has EVER been like that up here in the frozen tundra.

I feel for ya, Hula. Keep your chin up! : )

janjanmom said...

Praying for ya daily. You have a tough job. I do love hearing you on the radio though!!

Trailboss said...

You ARE Angela aren't you? You have done a wonderful job girl.

We got power last night. Awwwwwww, what a relief.